Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Just playing

I've been playing around with some quick projects. Art can let us escape into our own little worlds if even for just a short time.
Trying gouache and using magazine pages for inspiration. For years I have torn out pictures from magazines and saved them in folders. I always like the illustrations that I see people doing of food.
The problem is that I tear out the photos and not the descriptions, so sometimes I have to guess at what the foods are.
What makes them interesting to me is that sometimes they are fruits and vegetables that I don't recognize. 
I got a wonderful book of Mark Hearld's work and got a lot of inspiration for stamp carving from it. And finally, here is a photo of my husband and I on our anniversary last May.
I'm posting it because he has been ill and ended up in the hospital. He is home now, but he has a ways to go before he will be 100% again. So please send a few prayers out way.

15 comments:

Annette said...

Giant prayers to you both my dear. so glad he is out of the hospital now. There is no place like home is there? Love your carvings and art. I haven't carved a stamp, maybe this year. Hugs and hugs xoxoxoxo

Marilyn J. Rock said...

I'm with you always. Prayers and positive thoughts continue. I love seeing the photo of you and your husband; thank you for sharing that with us.

I'm happy he is out of the hospital and home.

Love your food art and your carvings are awesome.

Love, Marilyn xo

Lorena said...

Janet, I am happy to see that you have found time to art again. It does the soul GOOD! Hugs and prayers to you and George :-)

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Sending prayers.....

marvelous fruits and a cool carved stamp. I got julie balzers book amd i like how she explains...have some blanks to play woth but stitching has taken over as you know.

xox

Kimberly at ArtJoyStuff said...

Dear Janet,
Prayers are on their way, wishing your husband a speedy and full recovery. God Bless.
-Kimberly

Lisa said...

It's good to play, Janet. I'm so glad hubby is home and on the mend. That's a great picture of you two!

Lori Wostl said...

Love and play to the beautiful people Janet and her man.

Monica said...

lovely photo and George will mend. You art will help you. You can take sketch books to doctors appointment to help pass "waiting". It helps.

JackieP Neal said...

Tell George to hang in there as your art community is gathering all of its wishes for good health and healing prayers for him!

Love your pieces you are creating- beautiful and so yummy looking!!!
Such a wonderful picture of the two of you- really shows your happiness!!
xoxo

Jan said...

I enjoy stopping in here, there is always something new to see. You are certainly interested in many aspects of art and do so many so well.
Love the picture of you and your husband, quite the handsome couple. Sorry to hear he has been having health issues and I will say a prayer for him and you. Best wishes.

Marilou said...

Love the pic of you and George, Janet, glad he is home again. Have a great creative weekend!
Hugs Marilou xoxo

Paper rainbow said...

Hoping your husband get better soon.
Great drawings of fruit. Some I don't recognise either. What a good idea to put your pieces of inspiration in folders for reference. I wish I was that organised! ;)

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Hope your husband is mending. Sorry to hear he has health problems. Love the carved bird! I didn't know you started out as a fiber artist...me too....guess that is why your work speaks to me :-)

Darlene Campbell said...

Yes, I'm glad you posted a photo of hubby as I like to visualize the person I'm praying for. Hope his health improves Janet. And happy belated anniversary. You have another coming up soon.

Lisa Graham Art said...

What a beautiful photo of you and your husband. I hope he continues to mend quickly. Prayers going up!