Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A grumpy bird, some nice birds and Antoni Gaudi

I mistakenly identified this bird as a goldfinch--it didn't exactly look like one, but was the right colors. Then when I got the bird book out it feel open to the grosbeak page and there he was-the grumpy bird i had painted.

Then I painted a few other birds: An oriole

a bluebird
and a hummingbird (using silks paints-so very shimmery in person
which finally brings me to Antoni Gaudi-the second artist in the "studying under the masters" class. I had heard of Gaudi, but had really only seen photos of the Sagrda Familia Church. I didn't realize how fabulous his other buildings were-how colorful and his use of mosaics. I did two pages in my artist's journal. The first with printouts of many of his mosaic patterns.
and on the second page first I made a sketch and watercolor of Casa Batllo-drawing a building way out of my comfort zone, but I like the way it turned out. Then on the bottom half of the page, I made a pocket with a mosaic wall made of tiny pieces of paper. Into the pocket, I put a printouts mounted onto cardstock of Sagrada Familia and Park Guell.
It was really enjoyed learning about Gaudi. I thought I wouldn't be interested in this lesson as I'm not really drawn to architecture, but I would love to go to Spain to see these buildings. The more I looked at photos of them, the more I saw and appreciated them.

17 comments:

Lisa Graham Art said...

Your bird paintings are all so wonderful Janet. Every one of them has great character!

I have not heard of Gaudi either!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

We have red grosbeak's here and those wonderful bluebirds. Nice paintings Janet. Gaudi, wonderful works - my son had the good fortune to go to Barcelona one year on a school trip and he came home with 600 photos of Gaudi mosaics. We got an unbelievable treat. xox

linda said...

Love the birds, Janet, especially the hummingbird and the bluebird. I like what you did in Gaudi's style.

Rita A. said...

Wow. Janet. All of these things are so wonderful. I love how you did the building. I've never studied artists so your devotion to this is really impressive.
And of course, what is it about birds that make us want to color/paint/draw them? Love birds.

Nancy TeWinkel said...

Great blog post as well as lovely art birds.

Monica said...

you have really spread your wings and I love the church and the pocket. That is a really nice way to capture his work in your journal. there is something to gluing things down that has a way of sticking in your memory.
The birds are really excellent. and grumpy sure deserves his name.

teri flemal said...

These birds are fabulous! I love their colors and quirky little expressions. The Gaudis work is intricate and inspiring. I took this class but haven't worked at it as I should have.

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Merci de partager avec nous vos oeuvres... Ces petits et charmants petits oiseaux sont exquis. J'en ai rencontré de merveilleux à l'Île Maurice dernièrement.
Gros bisous

JackieP Neal said...

Janet, Your birds are lovely! I knew right away your finch was a Grosbeak , because of his beak! How wonderful to see a yellow one!
I am so intrigued by your journal pages and art from your class. I love reading how you come away from each study and to see what your art looks like based on the study! This is wonderful to see your own style come out- tank you so much for sharing, you really do inspire me! hugs")

Arlene said...

I love your paintings of birds - yes, I am fascinated with them too. In fact, often a bird finds its way into my paintings! You have done an excellent job with all of them. Your Gaudi page is inspiring too.

Hope you and George are doing well. Much love xxoo

Jan said...

We have large flocks of Evening Grosbeaks here so I recognized your bird for what it is right away! We also have black headed grosbeaks that look a lot like the Oriole, they are beautiful. I enjoyed your pages on Gaudi very much. I have been fascinated with his work for years, way ahead of his time. Thanks for sharing.

Jan said...

I've always thought the Evening Grosbeaks look like scowling teenage boys.

Lisa said...

Aw Janet, your little birds remind me of spring! Even the grumpy one :-)

Marilyn J. Rock said...

Love your birds, Janet! Thoughts of Spring and some color :)

We have a lot of "grumpy" birds (and people) here; first day of Spring and we have sleet and slush! :(

Your Gaudi art is stunning - truly! I am so behind in that class. I love your detail! xo

joanna said...

Gorgeous paintings, Janet! these would be nice as an embroidery? maybe do a collection of birds and flowers? just an idea that came to me when I saw them :)
xoxo

denthe said...

Your bird-paintings are wonderful. I don't know much about birds so this is a nice way to learn more about the different species. And I'm totally in love with your Gaudi-inspired work. I love Gaudi, visiting Barcelona had been on my wantingtodo-list since several years...

Amy Dayton said...

Love the birds,nicely done!