Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Friday, April 18, 2014

Georgia O'Keeffe

Georgia is the next artist in the Masters class series
This is the first page in my sketch book. A pencil sketch of Georgia, a watercolor calla lily and a detail photo of an art quilt that I made about her several years ago.
I added an extra page that opens out on the opposing side. This is a copy of a painting she did called "Red Mesa" done in watercolor.
This is the page underneath-a colored pencil drawing of a painting she did called "Grapes on a white plate", a jack in the pulpit stamp that I carved, and a red poppy done in watercolor.
This is on the back side of  "Red Mesa" and is my rendition of her "Pink Roses". A few years ago when I was making art quilts, I made several that had O'Keeffe and her paintings as the subject. It was really interesting to look at books of her paintings with a different eye this time-as something I wanted to paint, rather than stitch. It gave me a whole new appreciation of her work.
And the post wouldn't be complete without a couple of new birds.
Have a happy Easter!

8 comments:

Marilyn J. Rock said...

Fantastic Janet! Love your sketch of Georgia! Just awesome. I enjoy viewing your birds, too! I'm so happy you're enjoying the class. Your paintings really reflect that.

By-the-way; I had an opportunity to go to a Georgia O'Keefe exhibit, here in my area, in Glens Falls. It was really wonderful!

Happy Easter to you and yours! xo

Monica said...

This is what I think of when the word art and journal appear. These are just great Janet Love GO'K

JackieP Neal said...

Can I say-I am such a fan!! Janet- I love going through this series with you! You truly are encompassing all that you have learned and then some!Just when i think, mmm,my favorite- , oh look at this, this is my fav too! I adore the jack in the pulpit stamp! and the print you made from it! Thank you for introducing me to the great masters through your eyes! And congratulations on having so much of your art posted front and center on Jeanne's site!! Kudos my friend- you deserve that and so much more! (geesh, I'm beaming with pride for you!)
xoxo and I love your birds too~

Laurie said...

OH, you're doing the Master's Class! How exciting! I've enjoyed seeing your posts!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Marvelous mesa and a great homage to O'keefe. xox

Jan said...

I've long been a fan of OKeeffe and you have paid quality homage to her and her works here. Plus your little humming bird is absolutely charming. You captured their feisty appearance very well. It is always a pleasure to stop in at your blog, always something new and surprising to see.

Jan said...

P.S. I'd love to see the OKeeffe inspired art quilt you showed a glimpse of in entire.

Maria Ontiveros said...

This (and your Botticelli post) remind me that I want to get back to that class soon.
Rinda