Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Wodaabe tribe

I was so inspired by a photograph taken by Steve McCurry stevemccurry.com that I just had to try painting it. I haven't done any large paintings in a while (16 x 20) and i loved painting this one! If you aren't familiar with the Wodaabe tribe and their customs, you might be surprised by some of the things in this Nat Geo video http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/kids/people-places-kids/nigeria-wodaabe-kids/
I also have a few other little drawings from my sketchbook to share
Hummingbird on a nest
Chubby bird standing on one leg
Great horned owl
And i am still struggling with drawing items from real life (instead of photos) but I keep trying
Part of my Mexican folk art collection
And part of a chocolate set that belonged to my grandmother


13 comments:

Rita A. said...

Great painting. And of course I love the owl.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Wow, so striking Janet....I will check out the links. Your birds just make me happy....such cheery little souls. xox

Marilyn J. Rock said...

Will have to check out that link - thank you! Love the vibrant colors you are using; it really looks like you are enjoying! Beautiful! xo

Jan said...

I especially love your birds, you capture their essence so well.

JackieP Neal said...

Janet- I so love your painting! It really is beautiful and I feel you have captured her spirit! Your birds are adorable! And gotta love the Chocolate set that was your Grammi's How wonderful! I love checking out all you ongoing pieces! xoxo

teri flemal said...

Janet I adore this painting. I'm such a fan of ethnic art, and this captures it perfectly! The birds are wonderful!

denthe said...

I love that painting with the beautiful jewellery and clothes, and your birdpaintings are awesome. And so beautiful that chocolate set of your grandmother. Very romantic ....

Nancy TeWinkel said...

Truly A tribal beauty! Love the markings. Well done!

Lorena said...

Chubby bird standing on one leg is my favorite!

Silke said...

That is such a beautiful painting - from the mood of it to the colors! Gorgeous!! And your sketches are great - I have tried keeping sketch books, but it never seems to last... xoxo Silke

Maria Ontiveros said...

Great job on the painting. I find that the Studying Under the Masters class has helped me with things like that. I also love your birds. I might undertake a bird study soon.
Rinda

Patty said...

Thanks for the great video link!
I also struggle to draw/paint from
life instead of photos. Your tea
set reminds me of a Monet still life.

Monica said...

Lovely paintings and it looks like u enjoy it so much. Hugs to Greorge.