Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Thursday, May 22, 2014

A rose breasted grosbeak and a few more

When I was a little girl, we used to buy these wildlife books that had a sticker of the bird or animal and then a page to color of that bird or animal. I remember that I got the bird sticker book more than once and the first bird I always wanted to color was the rose breasted grosbeak. So pretty.
This photo of a baby starling reminded me of a baby bird that my friend Maren raised. His name was Burgess and she often wrote about him on her blog. I loved reading about that bird!
Here are a couple of Cedar Waxwings. I loved the way one was holding that berry in her beak.
I love these three little yellow birds (finches?) all sitting together on the same branch. I think I need to darken the background on this one. And then switching gears
In the Studying under the Masters class, the next artist was Chagall. I had already done a self study of Chagall last year, but wanted to complete a couple of pages for my journal. I was inspired by a photo of Chagall in his studio for the figure of him and then I surrounded him with different elements from his paintings. And finally
For the opposing journal page, I was inspired by Chagalls flying figures and couples and I painted "Sparky in the sky with diamonds". If you don't remember, we lost our sweet Sparky last September. We will always miss him. That is George and I--we see him flying by! I just wish I had that long white curly hair instead of my short straight hair!!

14 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I remember those sticker books, they were so much fun. Love your grosbeak. I saw one for two days in a row, and they are rarely seen, now it appears to be hanging around. xox

Marilou said...

What beautiful birds Janet, you should create a journal of your birds to enjoy:) Love it all!

Hugs Marilou

PS I should be posting instead Im visiting, perhaps tomorrow!

Jan said...

Wonderful paintings! We don't have the rose grosbeaks here, they are so pretty. I'm really enjoying your Masters series.

Kelly_Deal said...

Love love love!

JackieP Neal said...

Janet, I love your bird series- they are all so beautiful and full of character. Especially the Waxwings- We always have large groups of them in summer, up at the tops of the trees catching bugs waiting for the berries to ripen-they do love their berries! Yes, those yellow ones do look like American Finches. We have our "bird sanctuary set up out back" so all sorts of wonder and beauty have come to eat and frolic! The Rose Breasts' are frequenters- the momma who I think is just as pretty-looks rather large-maybe a clutch is coming! And their song , if you have never heard it, is just the sweetest! - Thank you so much for sharing your art! OMG! I totally went on about the birds! Sorry!
I also love the other two pieces you have done- ps how is George doing- hugs to you both!xo

Lisa said...

I love your birds, but my heart really goes out to Sparky in the sky with diamonds. what a great tribute!

denthe said...

I love your Chagall-pages! The colours and the energy .... And the painting with Sparky is so sweet ...

joanna said...

I'm loving all these bird paintings, Janet! and of course the tribute to little Sparky is just wonderful!! big hug from me xoxo

debra morris said...

Great birds Janet.
I haven't visited for a long time, just saw your comment below, I guess the drawing groups seem to use facebook more. Like you I get far less comments, but more visitors. I do prefer blogs but FB is convenient when I'm on the run and I can look at it on my phone.

Lisa Graham Art said...

Your tribal women in the earlier posts are amazing Janet. Wow! The colors and those powerful eyes they have. I loved the horned owl you did too...and these birds...oh how I love birds. The black bird with the white detail is my favorite. All the fine white lines and dots are just so pleasing.

Happy weekend to you Janet!

Annette said...

Hi my dear, love the birds and really love the Sparky painting up in the air with his own star in the sky. I so agree about the hair I wish I had hair like that also. I have to get back creating. Hugs and hugs

teri F said...

Loved your bird sketches, Janet. Hope to see more of them!

Pia Rom said...

Oh my Janet love all the birds and then your so beautiful Chagall inspired paintings! I especially lov e the last one...so full of emotions and love!! Mix It Monthly ♥ Conny

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

hi, janet, thank you for passing by my bloggy and say hi. thank you for the compliment. your art is so colourful, so direct! your food drawings would feel very at home in a cookery book! n♥