Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Monday, September 22, 2014

Danse Macabre


I am so excited about the new stencils from Artistcellar called Danse Macabre. by their new signature artist Beatrice Coron. In fact I thought they were so cool that I decided to challenge myself to use all four using different mediums! Be sure to read all the way to the end of the post to see who else is participating in the blog hop and also for a chance to win your very own set of stencils,. Leave a comment no later than September 28th.
For the first piece ( up above) I painted the canvas with black gesso. Then I spread.modeling paste through the stencil. It's a little messy and leaves lots of texture on your canvas but I like that "chunky" look. I then painted it with Silks paints.
The next piece is mixed media on canvas.  It's mainly paint and collage.  In Spanish it says "but mom, the dog ate my homework". You have to look closely to see all the details.
For my third piece I decided to make a small art quilt with machine and hand embroidery and beads. The stencil with the dancers was the only choice for this one!!
And for the final piece a composition book cover using metallic pens on black card stock.
Be sure to visit all of the other artists who are participating in the blog hop using these fun stencils.

Lisa Cousineau Artistcellar   September 20
Jill K. Berry                         September 21
Janet Ghio                            September 22
Cheryl Sleboda                    September 23
Sarah Trumpp                      September 24
Diana Trout                          September 25

Leave me a comment and tell me which piece you like the best and I will draw a winner for these stencils from Artistcellar the first week of October.


Be sure to leave an email so I can get a hold of you and get your mailing address.
If blogger won't allow you to leave a comment (sometimes it is contrary) just click on my link above or go directly to my blog and leave a comment.



27 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

So FUN!

teri F said...

Wonderful stuff! Loved seeing these, Janet. And of course, seeing how you used these with textiles has inspired me to try something new. How creative to combine embroidery with stencils and paint!

Anna Micciulla said...

Janet, just love love love as usual, all your work and you know how much I like the theme! How big is your art quilt? Is it the same size as the stencil?

OracleGaia said...

My favourite? I love all of them and it's hard to choose between my favourite two. I love the "the dog ate my homework" one, but the small quilt is also amazing. Are those hand-made paper beads around the edge? Gorgeous! My email is blue.dragon.gaia@gmail.com (in case I am lucky enough to actually win the stencils!)

funkycrafter said...

the projects are just so cool. i like ghoulies and bright colors.

Crazy Art Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crazy Art Girl said...

Really like the fabric/stitch and contrast elements of your art. Thx for sharing your fab art!
Belinda

TangledBlueRose said...

I love your work! All the pieces are amazing in color and texture. If I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be the quilted art piece. The color and joy is so wonderful!
Thanks so much for sharing your projects and a chance to win is a nice bonus!
~kim
blueroseblogger (at) gmail (dot) com

Amy Weaver/The Weaver's Hand-Inspirational Mixed Media Artist said...

what a wonderful variety of mediums! youve really shown how versatile these stencils are! that quilted piece especially is magnificent!

Annette said...

How precious are these my friend and love them all. But the fav is the dancing gals. Tooooooo cute and love all the colors you have uses. Like the Black background and turquoise and green lettering here also.xoxoxo

Liz Lumsden said...

such festively fun colors! I love dia de los Muertos items!!!

april dawn said...

Love your colors!

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Janet, I love the one with "the dog are my homework!" How clever to write in Spanish!

JackieP Neal said...

Great job Janet!! I love all four of your pieces but have to say the quilt is my favorite one!! Love those dancing ghouls! oops- I mean gals! Love the colors on all of them! awesome! ")

Joyfulploys said...

Way cool Janet! You brought new meaning to macabre. I like the quilt best too!
I've seen your name in art books, etc. but have never visited your blog. I am not that far from you...if you ever teach a class. let me know. (I'm in north central Arkansas)
Mary

Annette Hansen said...

Wow, I love them all! I like The Artist and the quilted piece too.
I really liked the way you used then in different mediums.
Annie

sdannie58@gmail.com

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Janet sweetie, I love all of them! :)
But since I love bright colors, I will go with the first one! My second choice was the embroidered one.

Hugs

Jan said...

What fun stencils and I love how you used each one in a different way! They are so dang cute!!

Silke said...

OMG, Janet, these are SO MUCH FUN!!! I love the compositions and the colors and the lighthearted feel of them! My absolute favorite, favorite though is the little art quilt. Exquisite!! xoxo Silke

Angela Watson said...

I'm really fond of the first one; I like the wonderful contrast of the black gesso and the neon bright flowers. Thanks for sharing these great ideas.

padmaja said...

Came here from Lisa's blog and loved your work! The dancers with beautiful colors, texture and story caught an extra eye, just fabulous!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Wow, fantastic Janet, these are all great. xox

Jo Murray said...

Wonderful pieces....how to choose? I just love the book cover. The whole concept of a skeleton doing the vacuuming is perfect....I just need to go on a diet. Haha.

Jo Murray said...

Oops...I forgot my email....
jo.murray.art(at)gmail(dot com)

Denise Spillane said...

Wow, wonderful and fun. I especially like the little quilt!

Mary said...

I like them all, but the mixed media 'the dog ate my homework" is my favorite. smeier@windstream.net

Michelle Reuss-Remy said...

Your work with these stencils is very charming and inspiring! I really want to play with these now so I would love to win a set! Thank you for the opportunity to enter your giveaway!

MIchelle
emichellereuss(at)gmail(dot)com