Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Monday, September 1, 2014

Frida and Diego

Once again I have been away from my blog for far too long. I have been making art, so I am going to do several posts to try and catch up with all of it. I have been having many problems with my low back, so spending too much time on the computer is difficult--I want to spend the "good" back hours working on art--but I am determined to catch up and maybe I could pick up a few more followers--or rather commentators--they've dwindled down to a small number--anyway enough about that and I will tell you about Frida and Diego. Some of you may remember two earlier embroidered pieces that I made: Summer Daydreams
and the Hippy Dippy Farm

Well I have started a new one called Retrato de Frida y Diego. So far I have done all the free motion stitching outlines and also added silk fabric paints for color to the tea towel. Next will be the long process of all the hand embroidery.

This piece is approximately 3' x 3' and is done on an old fashioned cotton dish towel and inspired by that little senorita in the corner that someone lovingly stitched long ago. Should be fun!! Stay tuned!

13 comments:

Kimberly at ArtJoyStuff said...

Hello Janet, they are wonderful! You have captured the spirit of folk art and added your own personal style. I always look forward to your posts.
en-JOY a lovely week,
Kimberly

Nancy said...

So much detail in your work. Hours upon happy hours of it! This is coming along beautifully.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

How do you stitch that small. All that detail is amazing. Can't wait to see it all come to life. Hope your back holds up, not fun. xox

sparkle100-havealook.blogspot.com said...

Oh your amazing. Your blessed with your eyes sight. It is all so perfect. Love the colors.

girlunwinding said...

Oh wow! it had been awhile since you posted. You let the whole of August get right on by you!!
It is nice to have commenters as well as on lookers which is why I accepted you invitation to bookmark your blog on Bloglovin' so I can keep up with you (don't know why I didn't before, but that is neither here not there). Looking forward to more of your artsy updates as well as what ever else you might have on your mind ;-)
Peace~
Dawn

Roberta said...

Wow, you are a patient artist! All that free motion stitching, painting and embroidery! Your previous pieces are wonderful, so I can't wait to see this one finished...and isn't it great you were inspired by the little senorita already there??? Wishing you less pain, and more art days!

Roberta

Rae Missigman said...

awesome free motion stitching on these pieces!

Pia Rom said...

Oh my so sweet Janet!! Love the scelleton and the lil cat, as much as Frida itself!! Mix It Monthly ♥ Conny

Monica said...

I have neglecting comments as I see work on FB and comment there. Sometimes it feels like deja vue! Love this and the other prints. Written on the road and cnnot correct. Like the creations in fabric and threads.

Jan said...

I love it! What a charming stitched portrait this will be, I love the others you have made too. Will be following along, as I always do. You might inspire me to pull out some of my old hoarded towels and table cloths that have this sort of stitching on them. I've just finished one but might be time to begin anew! Glad to see you posting again. Hope those back problems get better soon, what a bummer. At least you can stitch a bit when the back acts up.

JackieP Neal said...

Janet, I loved the Hippy Dippy farm and look forward to your new Frida and Diego! The colors already are so rich and beautiful! Sorry your back is still giving you problems "(
be kind to your body- its the only one you have! ") hugs

denthe said...

Wow, it's amazing how you get all those small details done with free motion stitching! I have tried it on my machine but I found it very hard. I didn't have a special foot though, so that might've made it more difficult, but still, a detailed picture like this seems very difficult to me. Looking forward to seeing what else you'll do with it!

Marilou said...

Janet these pieces are amazing and fascinate me to no end. I just love them. I should get out a few rescued linens and do something with them. so many things to do and so little time in the realm of things.
Hugs and Love, Marilou