Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Friday, September 12, 2014

Sketchbookery

I've been taking Mary Ann Moss's class and let me just say that I ADORE this class and am having lots of fun sketching. I just love her loose style of sketching. I'm taking my time working my way through all the videos. One of my favorite exercises is doing blind contour drawings and then a more controlled semi blind contour drawing next to it (meaning you get to peek a little as you go along)

They are fun to look at and fun to make. Some other more controlled sketches below not done for her class, but done earlier.
The chair and table in our living room
A little collection of jugs and vases.
A drawing of my grand daughter which looks surprisingly like her--she was keeping her mouth closed for her school photo because she had several teeth missing which is why her mouth looks so odd (besides my drawing skills). Sketching from real life is a real challenge for those of us who are spacially challenged. I do much better drawing from a photo that is flat as opposed to the 3 D items up above. I took an aptitude test once where you had to mentally fold up flat patterns into different shapes and I failed it miserably. The only one I could do was a square--spatial relationships score was almost zero!!

9 comments:

Rita A. said...

The class does look like fun. She is always so entertaining. Your sketches are great.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Love your sketches, Janet. The class sounds interesting.
Hugs

JackieP Neal said...

Your sketches are great Janet, and especially the one of Abby, such a pretty young lady! looks like fun- can't wait to see what comes next! ")

Lisa Graham Art said...

I took an online class a few years ago and part of the lesson was doing contour drawings. I had so much fun doing them and planned on making them routine, but never did (this happens often with me). I love your contour drawings. Also love the sketch of your granddaughter. I can't think of a better subject to draw than a granddaughter.

Happy weekend Janet!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Nice work Janet and I love that chair, wow. xox

Carol said...

Excellent sketches! The hands are my favorites :)

Jan said...

Good work Janet. I enjoy your blind contour drawings, they are fun!

Monica said...

That is interesting in the free Strathmore Class with Gay Kreiger, class # 2, She did contour drawing as did someone last year. Drives me nuts for some reason. Good sketch of GD.

rcscreations said...

I love your sketches, Janet! I almost signed up for this class, and now I am kinda kicking myself for not doing it! I'm glad you are enjoying it!