Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Monday, October 6, 2014

Edward Hopper

Edward Hopper was a "new" artist to me. He is the final artist in the first Studying under the Masters course. Many of his paintings depict small town America-. Again I created pages for my artists sketchbook. The portrait of him is copied from a self portrait that he painted. I was very happy with the way this turned out--especially the hat. Most of his paintings are architectural with many angles and light streaming in from one side--all big challenges for me--not being a straight line type or particularly precise with measurements--but a good exercise. All the pieces I did are reproductions of his work.
Very interesting to try these pieces and all well out of my comfort zone. Stay tuned--I have signed up for the next Studying under the Masters course which I will begin soon.

8 comments:

JackieP Neal said...

Wow Janet! What a great job on that hat as well as Hopper!! You really captured all of the shading as well as kept his face so proportionate! very impressive! of course your other pieces are lovely as well, I love the gal and her shadow on the bed! Well done!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Nice Janet. I love Hopper, we have lots of his art in museums around here. YOU have captured his spirit well. xox

Darcy UK said...

Thanks for the blog comment, I am loving the course so far, which has surprised me as I don't care much for any of the old masters works.. but loving finding out about their lives. if I continue to enjoy this class I might go back and do the first masters class. Your paintings are wonderful, quite an inspiration.

suziqu's thread works said...

Beautiful work Janet! Like Corrine says you captured the spirit of Hopper so very well!

Jan said...

Nice work janet. I've seen his work and read a bit about him. Love the pieces you chose to be inspired by, as well as your interpretation.

Rita A. said...

Thank you for the introduction. His looks like the kind of art I enjoy most. You did a great job!

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

your interpretations make me smile. i believe it's a good way to copy, to find out how an artist goes about, as in hopper's case, the light. that hopper light! i find the portrait you did of him is a great success!! n♥
ps - he's one of my all time favourites!

Lisa Graham Art said...

These are great Edward Hopper tributes! My very first art book was on Edward Hopper. I love his work. We have a few originals at our museum here in Wichita and I have to go look at them every time I visit there.