Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Studying Under Van Gogh

The second session of Jeanne Oliver's course "Studying Under the Masters: Portraits" opened several weeks ago. First up Van Gogh.
We started out using only pen and ink and looking at the many lines and patterns he uses in his art.
I noticed how my grandfather Coy Seward used many of the same lines in this lithograph of his grandfather. Then we tried our hand at a monochromatic watercolor of "The Knitter". Enjoyed these--but I wanted COLOR!!
Isn't that what we love about Van Gogh? His sunny yellows and beautiful blues?
Even in some of his sadder paintings as in my copy of this one after he had cut off part of his earlobe--there is color.
And my painting of the postman Roulin -lovely color and patterned background.. And finally--this is a class on portraits and self portraits, so here I am ala Van Gogh.
Throughly enjoyed  really looking at his paintings!!

9 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

What a GREAT POST and tribute to a true MASTER!

Nancy TeWinkel said...

This is a wonderful blog post! I enjoyed your journey...right to your lovely self portrait! Your whole blog looks great!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Your rocked it for sure, these pieces are so wonderful, feel like I am in Provence. xox

Arlene said...

Oh! I so loved this post! It looks like you are really having a lot of fun with this class. My favorite is your self portrait. Beautiful! In a way I think I would have liked this class - just didn't have the time to do it.

teri F said...

Janet, what wonderful work you did with Vincent. His iconic style is so much a part of our modern-day consciousness. Hard to believe at one time he struggled to find his audience - but it is a good lesson for us all.

Monica said...

This looks like a fun class for you Janet and the piece you made are so good.

Rita A. said...

How interesting to study the lines an artist makes so closely. There' so much to learn. Thank you for sharing.

JackieP Neal said...

Oh Janet!!
I truly love how you embrace each and everyone of these artists in these classes- your pieces that you create are fabulous! And your self portrait is beyond stunning!!! Beautiful my friend! xo

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

hey! that is an amazing à la! and such a delightful build up too... i love the spark in your paintings and sketches, something really talks to me in these. n♥