Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Friday, November 14, 2014

Frida-like; Women in the Marketplace and A Bouquet of flowers

I've made several paintings recently. This one was inspired by a fashion photo that I saw which I am sure had been inspired by a famous photo of Frida Kahlo. and then I changed it up some more.
This one was also inspired by a photo which I saw. I love these women. My story is that they are three generations of women coming to sell fruits at the marketplace.
I love how this bouquet turned out. I wish that I had painted it on a canvas rather than on a piece of black cardstock! I really like painting onto a dark background. The marketplace painting was also painted onto a dark background.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

These are lovely paintings. The dark background on the bouquet is very effective. And I love the three women in the marketplace.

Jan said...

I'm enjoying these, the black background is very effective.

JackieP Neal said...

Oh Janet! These are so beautiful!! I adore the Frida woman and the group of ladies beneath- you really have a way with these women- Your backgrounds, especially on the second is amazing the way you have melded your colors- I really get the presence of an actual wall-
And your bouquet is lovely- great lighting on that vase!! Keep painting and posting!! And you should be selling too! ")

Lisa Graham Art said...

Oh Janet, these are so fantastic. I love the stoic look on the first lady and the three generations painting is just so superb. There is history in these. These women have stories to tell us. Your colors are gorgeous too. Wow!

Pia Rom said...

Wonderful your colorful paintings! My favorites are the three generations on the fruitmarket! I can feel the warmth and smell all the ripe yummy fruits...♥ Conny
Piaroms Art Journaling

Monica said...

You are really having fun with this painting Janet. They look great and so your colors.

denthe said...

Oh, I so love the colours in that first painting. All of your paintings are amazing, I also love the study you did of Picasso in the previous post. I used to paint on black canvas, but for some reason stopped doing it. Don't remember why though. I do remember I loved it ... :-)

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

i've discovered i regularly see augustwren style in your paintings. i like that style, it is still life with a colourful twist, something i don't succeed in doing (probably because it ain't my style after all).
n♥

debra morris said...

Fantastic work Janet, I finally got to catch up!