Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Saturday, November 22, 2014

George and Janet meet Max and Quappi at a party

 Max Beckmann was the next artist to be studied in the Studying Under the Masters: Portraits class. He was a German artist and many of his paintings have that dark haunted look to them. I wasn't sure if I was going to like his art or not.
But after checking out a book from the library about him, I found many paintings that I really liked that were not so dark.  I also had an opportunity to dig out some oil sticks from my stash of art supplies.
Oil sticks are different than oil pastels. They are basically oil paint in a stick form and they are quite large in diameter, so when working small it is difficult to get good details--but the color is wonderful and creamy and they keep forever. The oil sticks I used are about 10 years old!! Then it came time to do my Beckmann style self portrait. I used acrylic paints on the self portrait.
On the right is a copy of a portrait that Beckmann painted of himself and his wife Quappi. I changed it just a little bit by replacing the bouquet in Quappi's hand with a glass of wine. One the left is the portrait I did of George and myself ( a combination of several different photos). I thought it would be fun to do the backgrounds and floor the same so it would look like they were at the same party.

7 comments:

Nancy TeWinkel said...

This is really great Janet. I love your process and outcome. Well done!

Rita A. said...

How fun. Your art just continues to grow and amaze.

Monica said...

Oh this is just so creative and so Janet! you really do sound like you are enjoying this project and making it yours.

Annette said...

Hi Janet, I enjoyed your art and info on Beckmann. You are great at the project of different artist and I am enjoying you sharing about them. I would never have done this on my own and thru you creating the art is a duo for me. Hugs and thanks for sharing.

JackieP Neal said...

Bravo! I love the self portrait!! What a great idea to put you and George at the same party!!
Your studies are wonderful- in case I haven't told you before! ")
Thank you for sharing with us!

Linda said...

These are great! Thank you so much for sharing.

Bea said...

I think I saw a great Max Beckman exhibit at the St Louis Art Museum. I took lots of photos because I like his work so much. Did you see it?...bea