Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Friday, November 7, 2014

Studying under the Masters: Picasso





Portraits of Sylvette. Sylvette was a young woman with a pony tail that he painted many, many times and in many styles. I picked out eight images and tried to put them in some kind of order that made sense to me going from most conventional to most abstract. It was interesting to copy each drawing to try to understand how he "abstracted" images. Still not a fan of this style.



Detail of the painting "Boy with a Pipe" from Picasso's "rose" period. I liked this painting a lot. In fact Picasso painted many pieces which were more traditional and I did like them. And last--the piece de resistance (LOL) my own self portrait ala Picasso's blue period.
Hey it's not easy to paint yourself blue and looking so solemn. I learned a lot about Picasso and changed my opinion of his art.

10 comments:

Rita A. said...

Interesting. I thought the page with the different styles was interesting. I've never liked this type of art but I do like yours.

Silke said...

Oooo, how wonderful! I think some of Picasso's art takes a little getting used to and understanding of what he was trying to do, but I like it. And I love your self-portrait!! xoxo Silke

JackieP Neal said...

Fabulous, Outstanding and inspirational!!! Janet, I will say it again- your works coming out of the Masters series are just incredible!! There hasn't been one that I have not been drawn into! Bravo to you!!
Your blue portrait is stunning!
So well done my friend! xo

Annette said...

Hi my friend, well enjoyed your arts again. the abstracts of the girl and pony tail are interesting and the blue solemn one of yourself is pretty awesome. Hugs and so enjoy seeing your art and your exploring. oxxoxo

Darlene Campbell said...

You are putting in the time for real study and these portraits show it. So amazing to work through another artist's perspective. Wow, Love them all enough I can't choose a favorite. You have talents all across the spectrum Janet! Cheers-Darlene

Lee Hynes said...

AMAZING! You are so clever!

joanna said...

Very inspirational pieces, Janet. you never cease to amaze me with your talents!! and I love your self portait even though it's a bit solemn :)
xoxo

steviewren said...

This is a great idea.....which I may have to try for myself. I especially like the portraits of Sylvette. Really interesting to see the progression of this work.

Holly Loves Art said...

Wow Janet your work is really incredible. Love stopping in to see what you're up to. You're always so creative, really pushing yourself and learning so much. Keep it up! I will be back soon.

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

how clever to be copying that which we don't like. i bump into resentment in cartoon classes, there are SO many comics i do not like, but it is shatteringly interesting to study what happens there. i am into movements at the mo. it ain't easy...

your self portrait is deep, did you know? okay, the background colour may help with this sentiment, but the effect is really deep. loving it. gosh, i'd have a hard time doing picasso!! ;))) n♥