Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Monday, December 22, 2014

Blog Hop Around the World

I was invited to participate in this blog hop by artist and painter Arlene Holtz.
Arlene and I met several years ago when we were taking a class together and from that class a small private yahoo group was formed and we have all become fast friends even though we have never met. I have watched Arlene bloom and grow into the wonderful painter she is today. The most amazing thing she did this year was to challenge herself to paint 100 paintings in 100 days and she did it!! What an accomplishment! Here is an example of her work:

If you would like to see more of her paintings go to Arlenes website

And now to answer some questions about my own work:

1.  What am I working on? Currently I am finishing up Jeanne Oliver's class "Studying Under the Masters: Portraits and Self Portraits". I have really enjoyed these series of classes and have learned a lot in them. I never know from one day to the next what might strike my fancy to work on--I like to try a lot of different things. I am retired, so I don't take myself too seriously. I had a very successful run making art quilts for about 10 years-was an artist in several galleries and was featured in Cloth, Paper Scissors and Quilting Arts magazines. About 8 years ago, I woke up one day and was ready to try my hand at something else so now I putter and play and make art for myself and others-occasionally sell a few pieces but am no longer actively pursuing galleries and exhibits.

2. How does my work differ from others in its genre? I love ethnic arts and color and I often draw from these sources for inspiration.

3. Why do I create? It's what I do. I work in my studio everyday. If I go to more than a couple of days without making something I get restless and grumpy. It's who I am.

4. How does my creating process work? It really depends on what I am making--sometimes I usually have a general idea of what I want to make--sometimes I have a photo--but I usually just sit down and start splashing paint or start drawing--I don't fuss about it too much--I work pretty quickly--and I don't worry about it too much.

Here are some examples of recent work:




And now I would like to introduce to you an artist I admire: Roberta Schmidt. I started following Roberta's blog several years ago. She has always done studies of different artists. One of the first ones I remember is a study she was doing of Vincent Van Goghs sunflowers. She painted numerous paintings of sunflowers in his style-with her own style also and they were wonderful! She also paints portraits of women and has recently started making abstract landscapes. She thoroughly immerses herself in whatever subject she is interested in and her paintings reflect this. Here are some examples of her art.



You can see more of her wonderful paintings at Roberts's blog. Roberta's post will be December 29th.

8 comments:

Lee Hynes said...

Great work!

Monica said...

Looks like you have found a niche for a while. very supportive statement for Arlene. She really is incredible.

JackieP Neal said...

Well, I never knew that you work fast! And I certainly would never have guessed you would go grumpy without a day or two of art!!! teeheehee
Janet, I have always loved your art and each new piece you share,well, just makes me love it all the more!! ") And I have always said you have a real gift for the ethnic art and now I know why!!
hugs to you
Merry Christmas to you and George!
Hope your holidays are filled with family and love! xoxo

Lisa said...

I am so darn proud of both of you! It's been super cool to see you guys grow and develop your artwork over the years. I can't wait to meet everyone in person... we really need to work on making this happen!

Anonymous said...

Janet, I loved this sneak peek into your art world, and your answer to "Why I Create Art" really resonated with me, as I feel exactly the same way! So happy that you are pursuing your need for art, and I LOVE your art and the process of it too. Your painting of the three ladies and the fruit baskets is beautiful...love the poses, their clothing, the colors! And thanks for showing me Arlene's art...love how colorful she is with her portraits! And lastly, thank you for including my art work in your blog post too :-)

Hugs,
Roberta

teri F said...

Janet I love the portrait of the three ladies, toward the top. Ethnic art is my favorite, and you do it so well!

Lori Saul said...

Beautiful pieces and wow- love your paintings. Your love of color and ethnic designs spill over form you fiber arts!

Marilou said...

Hi Janet, Im just here searching you out to see that all is well, I'm not getting my Reading list in my dashboard in blogger as some thing messed up so I thought I would stop by! Loved your bio on this post and all your art post!
Hope to get my reading list soon but I don't know how to fix it, ha.. Too bad they don't have a phone # to call, lol
This techie stuff is too Gardner for me.
Hugs and live, Marilou