Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Friday, January 23, 2015

Kind of lazy lately

So I've been kind of lazy lately--in updating my blog and also in making art--holiday recovery time I guess. I made the above mixed media piece for my daughter for Christmas. That's her dog Jasper.
The painting above, I made for my grand daughter Audrey. She wanted a painting of the aurora borealis. Well that was a challenge--not really a subject I would probably ever choose to paint, but after looking at lots of photos I had an idea of how I might do it. I used molding paste through a starry type stencil over most of the background and then painted over it with black and then paynes  gray paint--for the colored part, I used silks paints which have a wonderful shimmery quality and color. For the mountains below I used a handmade black paper and then overpainted it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
In the Roses on my Table group we made handmade books. This is the cover of the one I made.
And finally a photo of Bow wow's (that's the panda named after the smithsonian national zoo's panda Bao Bao who is rather an obsession of mine).Bow wo's new friend that Santa brought me for Christmas--a little koala with a chubby tummy who I named Ziggy. I am slowly working on some other projects but have been lately sidelined with planning a summer retreat with 11 other amazing women artists!! Seven days in a great spot!! So excited!!

8 comments:

Holly Loves Art said...

Hi Janet ! Cute-cute doggie art. Just love it! I'm inspired to make more Phoebe art. I did a ton when I first rescued her. I think I need to do more. Hope you're having a fun 2015!

Sue Marrazzo said...

JASPER was my dog's name!
He is a REAL cutie, too!
Have a good WEEKEND!

Annette said...

How fun is Jasper and never thought of doing a piece like that with Libby and Charlie. All your art is awesome here, well always is. The retreat sounds great and of course will have to share with us. Nope not lazy just lots of irons in the fire. Hugs and hugs
xoxo

Arlene said...

Glad to see you are still creating. I have also had a slow start after the holidays. Can't wait for that retreat - hope we will be able to work on some group creative things too!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Lazy is nice sometime. Gives you time to refresh and renew. Love Jasper. I am sure your daughter was thrilled. xox

Pia Rom said...

How I love your sweet collage and Jasper is a great model!! ♥ Conny
Piaroms Art Journaling

Barbara Casillas said...

What a unique way of creating the aurora borealis. The wiggly shimmery effect worked well.

Marilou said...

Hi Janet, Google lost my reading list so Im starting over, just wanted to let you know in case you need to re follow me, didn't that happen to you??
Oh well onward and upward, I think Im following you twice now and the newest wont show my pic so oh well again. Just checking into say love all your work! And kepin ya posted,
Love ya, Marilou