Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Studying the Masters on my own

I loved the Studying the Masters class so much that I have continued with my own studies. There are many living artists whose work I love. The first one is an artist known as Aitch. I love her peasant women and use of color and pattern.
She did a series called The Imaginary Life of. Above is my version of my imaginary life. Notice the panda in the left corner. I love painting and drawing on black paper.
She also did an alphabet drawing girls dressed as fruit. I loved this idea. The two on the right are my  girls. F for fig is a copy of one of her alphabet girls. Mine are  R for rhubarb and A for artichoke. I love the idea of creating an alphabet like this.
This final piece was inspired by her Alice in Wonderland project. I decided to do Red Riding hood. I love the way she makes the bottom of the skirts on her girls.
I really love her art.
All of these pieces are in my personal sketchbook and were not made for sale or reproduction in any way but were made for my own enjoyment and learning. It is so interesting to really look at and study the work of other artists. Please be sure to check out all the wonderful artwork of Aitch

13 comments:

Barbara Casillas said...

I had not heard of Altch, but I will check her out. I love the whimsy of your drawings, and the colors really pop on the black paper. You're right, studying the work of other artists really contributes to the learning process.

carolann said...

I do like the #1 and the #2

Awesome! Love your colors.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

I have not heard of that artist. Will check her art later. :)
Love your new work on the black background. Your art looks great and the colors amazing !
Hugs

Kelly Deal said...

Lovely art!

Monica said...

those drawing are very janet. i know you had fun creating them

JackieP Neal said...

So glad you are still creating and sharing! I love your pieces- all of them and so happy that you have shared another artist to check into- I love your art Janet- have always been a fan! hugs
ps..any candy left in that box? heehee

Marilou said...

Love the alphabet girls and Alice in Wonderland!
In answer to your question I need autumn colors, thanks for checking, love you'!
Hugs Marilou

Lori Saul said...

Janet your sense of play is contagious- you inspire me to dance. Always such wonderful use of color and imagery!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I can see why youlike her. This so remonds me of your kind of work. xox

Pia Rom said...

Janet, what a wonderful take on her art! This is so enlightened and beautiful!! Really love the red haired alice dancing in her path! ♥ Conny
Piaroms Art Journaling

Peggy said...

Oh my gosh, these are fabulous! I have never done anything with black paper and these inspire. Thank you. I'm going to have tons of fun visiting here!

Robin said...

My gosh those are fun pictures. I enjoy many elements to look at and your descriptions. I will check out that artist, someone new to enjoy.

boxboxkavita said...

wonderful blog! Keep up the great work!!