Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Friday, April 10, 2015

Paper cloth and intuitive paintings

I've made paper cloth before, but it has been a while and I recently finished a class in Soul Food on making paper cloth. Basically you start with a piece of canvas and build layer upon layer  by collaging papers first, then adding inks and paints. When you feel like you have added enough paint and pattern you begin "looking" at the painting to see what kind of images emerge.  This is the first piece I made.
This is the second from the same piece of cloth. I like working on the large piece of canvas cloth as it can be cut apart with scissors and different sections used. When the piece is finished it can then be mounted onto a stretched canvas frame that has been either painted or covered with paper.
And here is what I did with the leftover scraps-I covered the front and back of a sketch journal that I plan to take to North Carolina this summer.

13 comments:

Barbara Casillas said...

Wonderful idea. I love the mix of canvas, paper, ink paint. So many possibilities. The scraps were definitely too pretty not to use. They made a perfect journal cover.

Barbara Casillas said...

Wonderful idea. I love the mix of canvas, paper, ink paint. So many possibilities. The scraps were definitely too pretty not to use. They made a perfect journal cover.

Bea said...

You have a great sense of color. Aahh..NC...bea

JackieP Neal said...

Wonderful pieces Janet!!
I really like the figures your intuition found. Each piece has found images that are unique to their backgrounds-so well done!
I have not tried this class yet, but now am more excited to after seeing your works!
Love your travel journal too! What a colorful inspiration to have with you on your adventures! xx

Marilou said...

I love these Janet and the colors are beautiful too:)
Looks very fun and interesting!
Hugs Marilou

Lee Hynes said...

These are lovely!,I love that you constantly challenge yourself!

Lori Saul said...

Beautiful color and design- your art is always an inspiration to mix it up and play- love these!

Pia Rom said...

What beautiful work emerged here!! I so love her beautiful dress and crown as much as the flying frog :) The second one is very touching too! You seem to have so much fun with pulling your art out of the background..I am sure, you will have fun with the workshop! ♥ Conny Mix It Monthly

Lee Hynes said...

I love that you try absolutely everything and don't get stuck at one thing and stay there.We are much alike in this way. Until I try everything how can I know what suits me best! Long way to go but so lucky to have you on the same journey!

denthe said...

these look gorgeous! And I love what you did with the leftover pieces too!

Annette said...

Oh my dear, you are at it again and love seeing this collage, canvas, just fun art project. You and I have a lot in common we like to do more than one thing. keeps us busy doesn't it> These pieces have lots to look at and just holds you hostage til you really check them out. Like that off for now and hugs oxox

Lee Hynes said...

you are always learning something new! I love that!Well Done!

Lorraine said...

love all the colours on this and layers