Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Monday, August 24, 2015

Don't Faint!! and part one of the North Carolina Froup Retreat...

I'm back!! It's been a very looong time since I posted anything, but I have finally returned and want to tell you about the fabulous gathering of 14 artist friends this summer in North Carolina and show you my travel journal.
Now I must admit I didn't do much in it while traveling, but I had a great time when I got home putting it together.
The inside front cover--that's me as a little fairy girl--one of the projects our group did years ago was to make a chunky page of ourselves as a fairy girl--I decided to incorporate these pages into my book--you will see more of these later.
You may be wondering about the word "froup". Six years ago we started our little yahoo group. It's a small group of about 20 people at most. We've shared our lives and our art. We always said "wouldn't it be fun if we could all meet"--but it never happened. This year in December we said the same thing--but this time several of us said "let's do it" and we started planning. (oh "froup"--an innocent mistake on the keyboard that turned into a running joke). Anyway, planning a retreat with 14 different opinions is no easy task, but after a great deal of discussion, we decided on Asheville, North Carolina.
Here we all are in our official froup photo. Starting in the back from left to right: Lisa, Anna, Arlene, Celia. Then Pam, Teri, Robin, Lori, me and then Lorena, Hope, Monica, Bea, and Xio. I wish you could see the T shirts that Anna designed and had made for us--they were so cute. Celia, Lisa's daughter was our official photographer.
This is a view from the deck of the lodge we rented for the retreat. It was beautiful! We spent many hours on this deck. The lodge was way up in the mountains and we traveled many winding roads to get there as well as a one mile drive on a one lane dirt road just to get into the property.
You can't see all of the lodge here--it was called Flower Mountain Lodge and had originally been an apple barn. The postcard with the bears opens out. I chose the bear postcard to use here because in order to get to the lodge, we had to drive up Bear Wallow Road and then Bear Wallow Mountain road (but didn't see any bears wallowing)
No place is ever exactly as you expect it to be--it was a little more rustic than some of us expected. I was lucky to have a room with an outside window and a fan as there was no air conditioning--which is not usually needed in the mountains--but there was a bit of a heat wave the first few days we were there and it was quite warm!
These are photos of the deck where we spent a great deal of time and views from the deck. We did lots of art out here and Lori even slept on an air mattress on the deck for the entire week.
I had good intentions of drawing and sketching every day, but this is the only sketch I made--lol. Okay--this concludes part one of the travel journal. Stay tuned for more.

8 comments:

JackieP Neal said...

OMGOSH!!! Janet!! How very exciting for you and for all the gals!!
Really loving how you are sharing from beginning,on...and really looking forward to hearing and seeing the artwork created!!
I can't wait to learn more of your art adventure! Thanks so much for sharing!! xoxo

teri F said...

Thank you for memorializing this for us, Janet. I love the way you wrote on and around the photos.

Pam said...

Janet, I'm getting ready to get my journal together. Waiting for pages to arrive. Your page will be a feature!! Thank you!!

Monica said...

Oh that is great Janet. Art journaling ones travels is the best stimulus of all when you look at them a few months from now.

Marilou said...

Love this Janet and the fact that you all actually were able to get together! I look forward to you taking us on your visual journey through Art, Love, love your sketch too:)
Hugs Marilou

Marlynne said...

All sounds great except the no a/c!

Bea said...

Looks like lots of fun:)...bea

Elizabeth Golden said...

I know right where ya'll were. Not too far from my house.
I love Asheville. Wish I had known ya'll were there. I would have stopped by with some refreshment.