Because Art Should be Play and Not Work

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Greetings from North Carolina from Hillbilly Sam!

First of all, let me say that I in no way condone the use of the confederate flag unless it is in a museum somewhere--but there it is, right next to Hillbilly Sam who lives in a little old cabin right down the road from our lodge. You can even google Hillbilly Sam and you will find photos and stories about him. I wasn't the first one to see him--some of the other women in our group went out one day in the car and as they passed his cabin he waved at them. When I heard the story I really wanted to see Hillbilly Sam and he became kind of a running joke with us. (This photo is one I downloaded from google). He was fascinating but kind of creepy all at the same time if you know what I mean. Several times when I was out with some of the other women we drove by the cabin but he was no where to be seen...then one day there he was sitting on his front porch so of course we waved and shouted hello to him. So..I decided that Hillbilly (or as he spelled it on his big sign HILBILLY) Sam needed special pages in my travel journal and here they are.


 This is a photo of the very large sign "advertising" him. As far as we could tell and from what I read about him later, he really does live in this cabin and makes walking sticks to sell and charges money to people who want to take his picture (I have to admit, I toyed with the idea of having my photo taken with him, but the place smelled and I wasn't sure what might be living in that beard--so I just settled for a wave as we drove by.


I decided it would be fun to make  everyone their very own Hillbilly Earl (the better looking brother of Hillbilly Sam). This is the open page--when the door is shut, Hillbilly Earl is safely enclosed in his very own outhouse). You can move his arms and legs and if you gently pull his beard you can see his partly tootlhless grin...wouldn't you pay 10 cents for a kiss????




8 comments:

JackieP Neal said...

I love it!!! What a great version of Sam- Your Real in his own outhouse is perfect Janet!! Oh the fun you all must have had!
and you cracked me up with that beard comment!! heehee till next chapter...
xo

teri F said...

Wish I'd seen this icon of the hills in person, but your Hillbilly Earl card is a good runner up! And...of COURSE he miisspelled hillbilly...

Monica said...


More great pages in you travel journal.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

The outhouse is perfect! Love it Janet. xox

Lisa said...

ah I will always have fond memories of Hilbilly Sam. But I have to say... Earl is much better looking, and no smell!

Marilou said...

Love your take on Hillbilly Sam,, Hillbilly Earl is great!!
Hugs Marilou

Bea said...

Thanks for making one for each of us. I love mine...b

Elizabeth Golden said...

Holy Cow. I love your interpretation of this guy.